MK Dons have confirmed five fans have been given sanctions after reports of incidents in away matches at QPR and Northampton earlier this season.

The news comes after four men were banned from all football matches for nine months following a court hearing after fighting broke out in the away end the Dons’ 3-0 defeat at QPR on October 24. MK Dons have officially stated the fans may receive an extension to the ban by the club.

The four from Milton Keynes who were banned were among seven men held by stewards after the game at Loftus Road. Fighting broke out in the away end at Loftus Road shortly after QPR’s second goal in the game.

A further fan has been handed sanctions by the club for being in possession of and letting off a pyrotechnic early on in the Dons’ FA Cup meeting with Northampton Town in January.

The club have also stated plans to investigate acts of anti-social behaviour by supporters after being told they would not attend away matches until acts were dealt with. These include a revision to the Dons’ Custoemr Charter and a pledge to ban supporters for future acts of anti-social behaviour at games.

In their statement, the club said, “There has been an unfortunate shift this season, caused by a small minority who are attending MK Dons away games and creating an unpleasant atmosphere for other MK Dons supporters. The Club is well aware of the issue and some of our dedicated supporters have made it clear to us that they will not travel again until the anti-social behaviour is resolved.

“Together with the Thames Valley Police (TVP), the Club has been closely monitoring the activities and behaviour of this specific group and the TVP is fully supportive of the Club in challenging the behaviour of some individuals. Following consultation with the Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association and the Matchday Experience Group, the Club has put in place the following process.

“Firstly, the Club’s Customer Charter section on supporter behaviour has been revised to include the following: “If the Club considers that any supporter or person is behaving in a manner likely to jeopardise the safety or enjoyment of others, or may bring discredit on the Club or the community of Milton Keynes at home or away fixtures, it will, in consultation with a nominated representative from the MKDSA, make a decision as to whether that person should become subject to a Club ban.”

“Secondly, those individuals that have been identified will be contacted and warned by the Club that any future occurrence of their anti-social behaviour may involve a ban from attending both future home and away games.

“The Club hope these measures will show its determination to stamp out the anti-social behaviour which has emerged this season away from home, and reassure the majority of supporters who wish to continue passionately support the Dons around the country that they can do so in a safe, friendly and non-intimidating environment.”