An inquest has been officially opened today (5/9) into the deaths of eight people in a collision on the M1 near to Newport Pagnell.
The inquest was opened by HM Coroner for Milton Keynes Tom Osborne at the Crownhill Crematorium site on Dansteed Way, Milton Keynes. It officially confirmed the identities of the eight people who lost their lives in the collision on August 26th. The victim’s bodies have officially been released to their families.
The investigation has now been suspended whilst a police investigation takes place.
Those who died in the collision have been formally named as:
- Karthikeyan Pugalur Ramasubramanian, aged 33, and his wife, Lavanyalakshmi Seetharaman, aged 32, who were from the Alwarthirunagar area of Chennai, India.
- Panneerselvam Annamalai, aged 63, from the Nagar area of Chennai, India.
- Subramaniyan Arachelvan, aged 58, and his wife Tamilmani Arachelvan, aged 50, from the Saket area of Delhi, India.
- Vivek Baskaran, aged 26, from the Avaiyambalpuram area of Mayiladuthurai, India.
- Rishi Rajeev Kumar, aged 27, from Kerala, India.
- Cyriac Joseph, aged 52, who lived in Nottingham.
Chief Inspector Henry Parsons, from the Joint Operations Unit for Roads Policing, said, “An inquest into the M1 collision opened this morning and has now been suspended whilst a substantial police investigation takes place.
“We are continuing to support and update the families of those who died in the collision, as well as those who were injured and remain in hospital. Our thoughts remain with everyone involved at this time.”
Four people who were injured in the collision remain in hospital. These are a man aged in his thirties who remains in a critical condition, two women; one aged in her thirties and the other aged in her fifties who remain in serious but stable conditions, and a four-year-old girl who also remains in a serious but stable condition.
Two people have been charged in connection with the collision. The duo were driving lorries at the scene of the collision. One has been remanded in custody to appear at Aylesbury Crown Court on September 26th, while the second is to appear at Milton Keynes Magistrates Court on Monday. (11/09)