A trio of goals in the final 20 minutes of the first half saw Millwall beat Northampton at The New Den.

Aiden O’Brien opened the scoring after 27 minutes with a fine volleyed strike to cap off a flowing move by the home side, with his strike flying past Adam Smith.

An error by Smith then ended up in the back of his net in the final moments of the first half, with his clearance intercepted. The ball was then played to Jed Wallace, who fired a drive from distance into the back of the net. Wallace then added a second in first half stoppage time to complete the scoring.

Northampton’s best chances came in between the first two Millwall goals, with home goalkeeper Tom King denying Luke Williams, Matty Taylor and an errant Joe Martin clearance. But the Cobblers’ day would get more miserable, with Michael Smith and Williams both taken off injured.

The result means Northampton sit 16th, and are six points above the bottom 3 with three games still to play.

The second half of the match was overshadowed by scenes where a home supporter was treated by medical staff after collapsing. Millwall have confirmed the supporter was taken to hospital but was breathing when he was taken to an ambulance. The London club have also praised medics and the club’s support for their conduct during the incident.

The match was called to a halt before the end of four minutes of scheduled added time. In his post match press conference, Millwall boss Neil Harris confirmed both he and Cobblers boss Justin Edinburgh requested the game ended early to allow the supporter to receive treatment.

Harris said, “We could see the medics and the stewards. I don’t think the players knew until right at the end. The first thought from me and the dressing room is, pleased with the result, but health and safety comes first.

“Me and Justin were saying to the fourth official there’s two-and-a-half minutes left in injury-time, they’re not scoring three goals. Let’s get everyone off the pitch and let’s get the person looked after.

“I don’t know what the rules and regulations are, but somewhere human nature and the reality of what’s important in life has to take priority. I’m pleased the referee saw sense.”