Luton Town preserved their unbeaten run after picking up a point against Blackpool despite being reduced to 10 men.

James Collins opened the scoring for Luton early on. But things began to go against the Hatters, with Blackpool equalising through Nya Kirby.

Collins would then be sent off for a second yellow after fouling Blackpool’s Matty Virtue, before Virtue then scored for the away side.

But Jason Cummings was able to equalise minutes after arriving as a substitute to preserve the unbeaten run.

Luton are now unbeaten for 28 consecutive league games – a record for the club, surpassing a run set in the National League. It also sets a record for English football’s third tier.

The club also extend their advantage on 2nd place Barnsley to 8 points after the Tykes were beaten by Burton, although 3rd place Sunderland cut their deficit to the same margin after they beat Rochdale, with the North East side having two games in hand.

Collins had swept Luton in front after 6 minutes, with the home side’s top scorer swept in Kazenga LuaLua’s cross.

Luton had most of the first half chances, but couldn’t bag a second and were pegged back on the half-hour. A pull-back by Virtue landed for Kirby, who was able to volley home his first senior goal from the edge of the area.

Matty Pearson had an effort clawed away in the final moments of the first half, before Blackpool came close when Armand Gnanduillet had a header saved by James Shea.

The game then seemed to turn in Blackpool’s favour after Collins picked up a pair of quickfire bookings, and was duly dismissed.

Virtue would then score a second for Blackpool straight after, with the Seasiders player first on the loose ball after Luton had failed to deal with a corner.

A fine intervention from Shea then kept out Gnanduillet, before Luton made changes to try and get back into the contest.

The Hatters would get on level terms in the last 10 minutes, as Cummings was able to quickly turn and fire into the bottom corner to salvage a draw.