MK Dons picked up a second home win out of 2 at the start of the new season as they edged out Lincoln City 2-1.

Callum Brittain gave the Dons an early lead, but Tyler Walker scored a quick equaliser for the visitors.

George Williams put the Dons back in-front when he deflected Jordan Bowery’s effort past Josh Vickers.

From there, the away side enjoyed a lot of pressure to try and force their way in, but MK Dons did the work to hold out and keep Lincoln at bay, and in turn pick up victory against a side promoted with them last season.

After the late misery at Wycombe, MK Dons had a meeting against the League Two winners, who had made a flying start to League One life.

On paper, it looked like a big test against a side who had won all of their opening 3 League One matches, but the hosts made the perfect start. A flowing move saw the ball released to Kieran Agard.

The striker’s low cross from the Dons’ left teed up the onrushing Brittain, who drilled it in to give the Dons the lead inside the opening 90 seconds.

This jolted Lincoln to life, and after a few dangerous crosses, it was the Imps who equalised. A passing move of their own culminated in Jorge Grant’s ball to Walker, and the striker placed a low one past Lee Nicholls.

From there, the match became a fairly even contest, with few chances but plenty of pressing and probing as the two sides looked for an opening.

When it did come, it came in unconventional circumstances. A cross eventually landed for the Dons’ Bowery, whose strike struck Williams and went into the net, seemingly via the Dons’ players’ heel.

The home side nearly had it better just after, as a low cross-shot by Agard just trickled wide.

For most of the remainder of the half, the best chances fell the way of Lincoln. Walker and Harry Anderson both flashed shots wide before a mistake by Jordan Houghton allowed Jack Payne to pinch the ball and have a shot denied by Lee Nicholls.

Grant and Anderson also forced saves from the Dons keeper, but the visitors were unable to make a second strike work for them. Grant would also see a shot saved by Nicholls in the early moments of the second half.

A great chance fell for Payne for the visitors, as he was picked out by Harry Toffolo but failed to keep his effort down.

This was the cue for MK Dons to come close. Hiram Boateng nearly found a way through, with a neat run and flicked shot culminating in a save by Vickers.

Ryan Harley also saw a volley deflected at a corner, while at the other end, Lincoln would come close as Grant was denied by Nicholls and a great block from Boateng thwarted Michael O’Connor.

In response, Agard had a decent try from range that just drifted narrowly wide as the two sides began to play end-to-end football in search of more goals.

Lincoln then began to up the tempo, pressing MK Dons deeper into their own half and had various crosses, free-kicks and other attempts, but they struggled to get the final ball just right. The closest effort saw Nicholls do well to stop a deflected Payne attempt.

MK Dons had a chance on a foray forward, as Bowery had a header over from a breakaway corner.

Substitute Bruno Andrade saw two go off target for the visitors – one via a deflection off Russell Martin – while Joe Morrell also saw a strike fizz wide after a short corner.

Perhaps Lincoln’s single best chance came with one of the final kicks, as Jason Shackell saw a header cannon off the bar. But the Dons had done enough and pick up the three points.

MK Dons: Nicholls – Poole, Martin, Cargill – Brittain, Boateng (Lewington 80), Houghton (McGrandles 62), Harley (Gilbey 62), Williams – Agard, Bowery

Subs not used: Moore, Healey, Nombe, Kasumu

Goal: Brittain (2), Williams (24)

Booked: Poole

Lincoln: Vickers – Eardley, Bostwick, Shackell, Toffolo – Morrell, O’Connor (Andrade 66) – Anderson, Payne, Grant – Walker (Akinde 66)

Subs not used: Smith, Bolger, Chapman, Bradley, Lewis

Goal: Walker (10)