Northampton Town blew a 2-0 half-time lead at Walsall as an injury time goal saw the home side win 3-2 and dent the visitor’s play-off push.

The Cobblers had lead 2-0 at the break courtesy of 2 goals by loan striker Callum Morton.

But after the break, the Saddlers rallied, as Josh Gordon and Danny Guthrie brought the home side level. Then in added time right at the end, a deflected Rory Holden goal won the game for the midtable West Midlanders.

It was a damaging result for the Cobblers, who have now lost 3 consecutive games after back-to-back defeats on their own turf. With results going against them, Northampton drop out of the play-off positions, although they are outside the top 7 on goal difference.

On a windy day in the midst of Storm Dennis, both sides started quietly. Northampton also suffered a blow after striker Andy Williams left with a hamstring injury, but it was they who would strike first.

A few moments after he had shot over, loan striker Morton met a ball by Nicky Adams and his header found the back of the net for a 21st minute opener.

Having broadly dealt with Walsall’s threat after that, Northampton would then grab a second six minutes before half-time. It came from Morton again, with the striker meeting Paul Anderson’s dangerous cross and firing a first time strike into the back of the net.

Walsall came out for the second half looking more up for the game, and would reduce the deficit ten minutes after the restart, as Gordon turned in a cross by Shay Facey.

Northampton could have restored their two goal cushion after that, as Morton narrowly missed two crosses before he saw a further strike saved by home goalkeeper Lewis Roberts.

But the visitors failed to find a third goal, and with 13 minutes to play, the home side restored parity. It came in somewhat unexpected circumstances. The home side won a free-kick out wide, and former Newcastle midfielder Guthrie saw his delivery land in the back of David Cornell’s net.

From there, Walsall had their tails up. Elijah Adebayo saw a shot saved by Cornell, while home sub Wes McDonald saw one shot deflected wide and another hit the bar on its way over.

But in the third minute of four added, Northampton lost the ball in the middle of the pitch and Walsall broke. McDonald passed for Holden, who saw a game winning strike deflect past Cornell to seal a home side comeback and send Keith Curle’s side home with nothing.