Luton Town’s survival hopes received a big boost as they beat Huddersfield Town in West Yorkshire.

Sonny Bradley and Elliott Lee scored second half goals, as the Bedfordshire club took a big victory in the first game of the Championship weekend.

With Middlesbrough, Hull, Barnsley and Charlton all playing tomorrow, it gave a great platform for the Hatters, who moved above the Tykes and are now 2 points from Stoke, who fell to 4th bottom after a 5-0 mauling by league leaders Leeds United on Thursday. The Hatters also move to within just two points of the day’s opponents.

Luton entered the contest at Huddersfield in need of a lift, having conceded five to Reading last weekend and then conceding a late equaliser in a clash with Barnsley in midweek.

Despite both sides needing a win from this contest, the first half would be a tight match.

Huddersfield would see a lot of the ball, but would struggle to break Luton’s defensive ranks down, with a deflected strike by Emile Smith-Rowe, a header by Frazier Campbell straight at Simon Sluga and a Lewis O’Brien long-ranger held by Sluga the best they managed.

This was still more than Luton offered in the opening period, as they failed to register a shot in the first 45. But Nathan Jones’ side then opened the scoring 3 minutes after half-time.

After Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu’s strike was deflected behind for a corner, Bradley rose highest at the set-piece to head the ball into the back of the net.

Moments after Luke Berry fired over from range, Luton striker James Collins came close to grabbing the Hatters’ second as he saw a curling effort bounce a fraction wide.

Luton suffered a blow when Harry Cornick was forced off injured, but the team soon had something to celebrate when they moved 2-0 ahead.

Collins broke through and saw a strike bounce clear off a Huddersfield post, but it then fell for Lee, who fired the rebound past Jonas Lossl to give the away side a cushion.

Despite there being 20 minutes left to play and seven minutes of stoppage time getting added, Huddersfield offered little attacking threat and Luton rode the game out.

Luton will now wait and see if results tomorrow are favourable, before resuming action with a home clash against QPR on Tuesday. They will then finish the season with a huge trip to face fellow strugglers Hull City, and a final day clash with Blackburn Rovers at Kenilworth Road on July 22nd.