A second half equaliser by QPR prevented Luton Town from jumping out of the relegation zone in the Championship.

James Collins’ first half penalty had given Nathan Jones’ side the lead against mid-table West Londoners.

But they failed to find a second goal and QPR pinched an equaliser through Dominic Ball, with neither side then able to make the most of late chances to grab a winner.

Victory would’ve seen Luton leapfrog Charlton to take a spot outside the bottom 3 and apply pressure on the South Londoners ahead of their trip to Birmingham City later today (15/07). But instead they sit 1 point from safety, and level on points will Hull.

Luton’s next game on Saturday is a huge clash with Hull at the KC Stadium, who enter the game on the back of an 8-0 mauling by Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium.

When this game began, news would have been present of Hull’s predicament, as they conceded 7 goals in the first half in a 6pm kick-off in Lancashire.

In Bedfordshire, Luton built themselves into the game after an early spell of QPR pressure, with Andrew Shinnie and Collins having shots blocked.

The home side then took the lead after 20 minutes. Luke Berry’s pass released James Bree, who was fouled by Ryan Manning, and from the spot, Collins beat Joe Lumley in the QPR goal.

Luton came close to a second after that. Elliot Lee was close with a strike from close range that flew narrowly wide.

QPR improved as the half continued. Eberechi Eze saw a strike deflected wide, while Ilias Chair saw a shot go straight at Simon Sluga.

Luton could still have managed a second first half goal, as Lee saw a curler shot held by Lumley after some work in the build-up.

In the second half, Luton thought they had a second goal when Dan Potts headed in a corner. But the goal was chalked off after a push was spotted.

Having rode that out, QPR began to go forward more, and moments after Sluga denied Yohann Barbet’s header, the away side drew level. Pacey work by Bright Osayi-Samuel saw him pull the ball back for Ball, who drilled a low shot into the back of the net.

Things became more open. Luton came close when Harry Cornick had two efforts deflected wide, while QPR nearly got a lucky second as Sluga spilled a cross that deflected off a defender and the Croatian pushed it away just in time.

Luton could’ve won it late on, but couldn’t make the most of chances and they had to settle for the point ahead of a must-win clash in East Yorkshire on Saturday.