The Bonfire Night fireworks displays in Campbell Park, Newport Pagnell and Olney have all been cancelled due to the covid-19 pandemic.

In the past 3 days, all have announced the cancellation of their planned November dates in the wake of the government’s “Rule of Six” measure for controlling covid-19.

The event at Campbell Park in Central Milton Keynes is traditionally the biggest in the local area, and also leads to a funfair held in the area around the same time, but in a statement earlier this week, Keith Emmett & Sons, who operate both events, announced their cancellation.

They said, “As we’re sure you’re already aware, the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has meant that it is vital to limit social contact and avoid large gatherings. For that reason, we’ve made the difficult decision to cancel our annual funfair & firework spectacular.

“Our event attracts over 100,000 spectators annually. Due to covid-19 requirements and restrictions on social gatherings, it will not be possible to hold this event.

“We look forward to returning our annual fireworks display in 2021. Stay safe and keep well.”

Earlier this week, The Olney Group, which organises the fireworks display in Olney among other local events, made a statement that their event was also set to be cancelled.

They said, “The Olney Group (TOG) has taken the difficult decision to cancel this year’s firework display, which we had planned to hold on Sunday 1st November, due to the current COVID-19 restrictions on social gatherings. We hope you will understand that we have not taken this decision lightly and we look forward to holding next year’s event on Sunday 7th November 2021.”

The Newport Pagnell event previously announced its cancellation last month. In a statement on Facebook, the organisers voiced their regret at having to do so.

They said, “It is with our deepest regret members of Fireworks Committee have taken the decision tonight that we will not be holding this years display. We have had discussions with all parties that are involved and as there is still a lot of uncertainty regarding large displays being able to go ahead. We have had to make this difficult decision.

“Please keep following the page for further updates and in the meantime we are looking forward to making our 2021 display even more spectacular!”