MK Dons have admitted their disappointment with the u-turn on letting fans back into stadiums, though have accepted the situation is a unique one.
The Dons have released the statement the day after the government announced plans to begin letting fans back into sports stadiums from October 1st will be pushed back in the wake of a rise of coronavirus cases, which are running at levels close to that of the first lockdown.
Some rumours have suggested fans may not be let back in until March 2021, although so far, nothing official has been confirmed by sporting associations or by the government.
MK Dons had taken part in a trial event for letting fans back last weekend, with a crowd coming to the women’s team match against Watford last Sunday at stadium mk, with the men’s game against Lincoln City the day before played behind closed doors.
The club have said in a statement that they were looking forward to having fans return from their upcoming clash against Ipswich Town, and are disappointed the permit has been revoked.
They said, “While understanding of the delicate Public Health situation that the country finds itself in, MK Dons were disappointed with the decision to suspend plans that would have seen supporters return to Stadium MK in October.
“The Club has spent several months making the necessary arrangements to welcome our fans back in a Covid-secure manner and we were pleased to safely host several hundred supporters inside the ground for the MK Dons Womens fixture with Watford last Sunday.
“We were also very much looking forward to seeing our Season Ticket holders return for the visit of Ipswich Town on 3rd October and the Chairman, directors, players and staff are deeply saddened that we will not be permitted to host them all.”
The club also said that the news of a delay to fans’ return will negatively financial impact them, in a view stated by a number of other clubs at all levels of football, but reaffirmed their view all season ticket holders should not lose out through no fault of their own, and that they will assess their options while plans are formulated to allow fans to return.
They said, “There is no hiding from the fact that Tuesday’s government announcement will have a considerable adverse financial impact on MK Dons, as it will on all football clubs up and down the country. However, we also recognise that this news most affects our Season Ticket holders – Season Ticket holders who have displayed an immense amount of loyalty and commitment to their Football Club during this difficult period in our history.
“The Club remains strong in its view that NO Season Ticket holder should lose out through no fault of their own, and we are currently working our way through a number of options and initiatives that we hope will maintain the value of a Season Ticket while matches take place behind closed doors. We will finalise everything over the next few days and will issue a further announcement in due course.
“Our ultimate goal is, of course, to secure the safe return of supporters to Stadium MK. Football without fans is, and never will be, the same. You are the lifeblood of the Football Club and while we wait for the day you can return home, we will do everything we can to ensure you remain connected and engaged with YOUR MK Dons.”