Northampton Town are out of the FA Cup after a 2-1 defeat by Oxford City in the tournament’s First Round.

The Cobblers had flown into an early lead when Sam Hoskins put them in front inside the opening seven minutes.

But James Roberts equalised and in the second half, Oxford City would be awarded two penalties.

James Roberts would miss the first penalty, but Josh Ashby would not make the same mistake with the second one, scoring the decisive penalty as Northampton were beaten by the National League South side.

Its the third time in four seasons that the Cobblers have exited the FA Cup in the First Round, and the first time since 2016 where Northampton have been knocked out of the FA Cup by non-league opposition.

Things had started brightly for the visitors. After the home side failed to make the most of a few early opportunities, the away side took the lead when Hoskins turned in Mark Marshall’s cross.

Caleb Chukwuemeka nearly added a quickfire second only to fire wide, before the home side came close as Roberts hit the post.

But Oxford City would equalise within five minutes of Northampton’s opener, when Roberts outmuscled Joe Martin to head in Louis Hall’s cross.

Martin would see a free-kick saved by Oxford City keeper Ben Dudzinski, but as the half progressed, the home side began to consistently cause Northampton more problems.

However, the best chance would fall for the League One side, when Aaron Drewe slid in at the last moment to block Marshall’s goalbound drive after he beat Dudzinski.

Jonathan Mitchell in the away goal then had to make two stops in quick succession, denying Roberts and then Joe Oastler from the following corner.

Oxford City would be given a penalty five minutes after half-time after a foul by Martin on Roberts. But from 12 yards, Mitchell dived the right way to deny Roberts’ penalty.

Hoskins placed a drive just wide of the post, but Oxford City were still proving challenging for Northampton and they would grab a second penalty just after the hour.

Fraser Horsfall fouled home substitute Elliot Benyon in the box, and this time Ashby would take the responsibility, beating Mitchell to put the home side in front for the first time on the night.

Lewis Coyle could’ve made things even worse for the home side when he fired wide, and he would see another left-footer just crash off target.

Northampton tried late on to rally to force extra-time, but they ultimately came up short and Oxford City held on to take the upset.

The result means that while Oxford City have set up a tie against Shrewsbury at the end of the month, Northampton’s interest in the country’s oldest football tournament is over already.