MK Dons fell to a first defeat in five League One games as they were beaten 3-1 by Hull City at stadium mk.

3 goals were scored in a blistering 4 minute period in the opening stages. Josh Magennis put Hull ahead, and although Stephen Walker equalised for the hosts, Magennis scored a quick second to restore the away sides lead.

The Dons put in plenty of effort to try and rectify the situation, but the goals weren’t forthcoming, and James Scott struck a third in the second half to seal the points for the visitors.

It ultimately means a step back for the Dons, who had pulled off an impressive win at Sunderland last weekend but were unable to take anything off of a Hull side that have made a positive start to the season as they suffered a first loss in 5.

After ending their year-plus away win drought at Sunderland last weekend, MK Dons sought to build on that by grabbing back to back league wins for the first time this season. However, they would try for this without Louis Thompson, after the Norwich loanee suffered a long-term injury in the last game.

There was a quickfire start at stadium mk, as Hakeem Adelakun saw a curling drive go wide before Fraser was just prevented from having a one-on-one shooting opportunity and Walker fired wide after the resulting MK Dons corner.

But the visitors would strike inside the opening 10 minutes. Hull were able to keep the ball in play, and a cross from Josh Emmanuel picked out Magennis, who carved out space between 2 MK Dons defenders and was able to fire a shot on the turn into the bottom corner.

MK Dons equalised three minutes later. Ben Gladwin was able to run down the left flank and fire in a cross that looped up off Tigers skipper Richie Smallwood to Walker, who was able to hold off his man and put the ball past Matt Ingram.

Yet less than a minute after celebrating their equaliser, MK would be behind again. The Dons were unable to stop a run down the left by Callum Elder, who teed up Magennis. This time, the Northern Irish international was able to hold off his man and lash one into the roof of the net.

The Dons nearly had another quick response. Fraser’s cross would see a Cameron Jerome flick go straight at Ingram, before Fraser hit one from a tight angle that just flew over.

Walker then also tried his luck and saw an effort awkwardly stopped by Ingram as the Dons enjoyed a lot of pressure after. However, Hull were looking dangerous on the counter, with Adelakun having one run crowded out and another end in a shot deflected wide.

MK then came close as Walker lead a flying home counter, but the Middlesbrough loanee would be denied by Ingram, and after that, the game seemed to slow from its frantic early tempo.

The second half lacked the frantic nature that the first half had, as while both sides looked comfortable on the ball, it failed to yield chances at a similar rate to what had gone before in the opening period.

To try and restore some momentum, MK Dons introduced Andrew Surman for his debut after his midweek arrival on a free transfer following his summer release by Bournemouth.

But the best the Dons could manage was a few set-pieces, and despite a formation shift to play with 3 strikers when they made further changes, it was Hull who would grab the game’s fourth goal.

The visitors won a corner and from it, an initial flick by Tom Eaves found Scott, who saw his own header float in off a post.

Hull could’ve rubbed salt into the wounds, as Scott made the wrong choice to pass when one-on-one before Mallik Wilks saw a sight at goal saved by Andy Fisher.

There was a late rally by the home side, with Fraser and Walker having shots blocked before Matty Sorinola had an effort denied by Ingram. But the away side were able to see the game out and take the points.

MK Dons: Fisher – O’Hora, Keogh, Lewington (Cargill 83) – Sorinola, Kasumu (Morris 73), Houghton (Surman 65), Fraser, Gladwin (Poole 73) – Jerome (Sorensen 83), Walker

Subs: Nicholls, Freeman

Goal: Walker (11)

Hull: Ingram – Emanuel, Greaves, Burke, Elder (Batty 82) – Smallwood, Jones – Wilks (Samuelsen 88), Honeyman (Slater 82), Adelakun (Eaves 66) – Magennis (Scott 66)

Subs: Long, Coyle

Goal: Magennis (8, 12), Scott (76)