Luton Town were victors in their derby match with Watford as they won 1-0 at Kenilworth Road.

The only goal would come late on as James Collins scored a penalty after a foul on Elijah Adebayo. Watford’s hopes of a late point then took a major hit when Kiko Femenia was sent off, but there was late drama as Andre Gray saw a stoppage time equaliser disallowed.

Victory over the promotion chasers means Luton are up to 56 points, with the team in 13th and now 17 points clear of Rotherham United, who still have 7 games to play. It is also Luton’s first win over Watford at Kenilworth Road since 1993.

Luton began strongly. Adebayo would see a strike fail to reach the target before Daniel Bachmann saved from Luke Berry’s overhead kick.

Sonny Bradley would see two efforts go off target from early corners, before a volley by Bradley narrowly missed both the target and the waiting Kal Naismith.

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall flashed a shot wide before Berry had a shot saved by Bachmann just before the half hour.

Luton would continue to create in the remainder of the first half, but were let down by errant shooting when in sight of goal.

The second half was tighter, although Luton had a decent chunk of opportunities. However, they were unable to make the most of the ones that came their way.

But with 15 minutes of the match to go, a poor backpass by full-back Achraf Lazaar was intercepted by Adebayo, who was fouled by Bachmann. This gave Luton a penalty and the Watford goalkeeper a booking.

Collins was brought on as Adebayo was injured in the penalty incident, and his first act was to beat Bachmann from the penalty spot to put Luton in front.

Watford began to wake up, with Will Hughes firing wide and Francisco Sierralta having a strike blocked.

But the away side’s hopes of an equaliser took a big dent when Femenia was shown a second yellow card after fouling Kazenga LuaLua, who he’d earlier fouled to get his first caution.

Despite this, Watford thought salvation had come when former Luton striker Gray turned in Isaac Success’ second ball after Luton initially cleared a corner. But to Watford’s disgust, an offside flag intervened and the goal was disallowed.

Luton duly saw the job out over the final stages, allowing the team to taste success on Watford’s first trip to Luton in 15 years and make it back-to-back wins after last weekend’s win at Wycombe.