The FIA’s stewards have rejected a request by Red Bull for a further review into a penalty given to Lewis Hamilton after his collision with Max Verstappen at the British Grand Prix.
Red Bull had requested a “petition for review” to have a further look into the incident on lap one at Silverstone in the last Formula One Grand Prix, with the Milton Keynes-based team arguing the original penalty handed to Hamilton was insufficient.
Hamilton was given a ten second time penalty in the race after the high speed contact, which saw Verstappen lose a wheel and make heavy contact with a crash barrier, putting him out of the race on the first lap and leading to the Dutch driver requiring a hospital visit for a check-up.
The Brit then went on to win the race, with the Mercedes driver reducing his deficit to Verstappen in the driver’s championship from 33 points to 8.
Red Bull filed their petition to further review the incident last Friday. Under FIA rules, the MK-based team was asked to provide new evidence that was not available to the stewards at the time, otherwise their attempt to force a further review would be rejected.
A hearing was held earlier by video-conference today (29/07), with the stewards hearing evidence from high ranking members of the Mercedes and Red Bull teams, with the stewards opting to shut the door on the case rather than review it further.
In their notes, the FIA have declared evidence that was submitted by Red Bull included slides based on GPS data of Hamilton and Verstappen during the crash, comparisons to Hamilton’s race winning move on Charles Leclerc at the same corner later in the race, simulations of lines, and a “real world” simulation where Red Bull re-created Hamilton’s lines through the corner during a filming day at Silverstone.
The stewards’ notes released by the FIA have said that the assembled stewards did not believe Red Bull’s evidence was sufficient enough to justify a further investigation of the penalty originally handed to Hamilton by the British Grand Prix’s stewards, arguing it was not new or significant enough and that much of it had been created rather than discovered. As a result, the stewards have moved to dismiss the case to conduct an additional review of the penalty.
The move to dismiss the appeal mean that the results of the British Grand Prix as they were stand, with Hamilton winning the race and his originally issued 10 second time penalty staying in place.
Hamilton’s Mercedes team have welcomed the news. In a statement on social media, the Brackley based team declared they welcomed the decision to reject the appeal, and they have also further criticised Red Bull for statements made about Hamilton both publicly in the days since, and in the documents towards this appeal.
Mercedes said, “The Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 team welcomes the decision of the Stewards to reject Red Bull Racing’s right of review.
“In addition to bringing this incident to a close, we hope that this decision will mark the end of a concerted attempt by the senior management of Red Bull Racing to tarnish the good name and sporting integrity of Lewis Hamilton, including in the documents submitted for their unsuccessful right of review.”
Red Bull have so far (as of 10pm on 29/07) yet to publicly comment their thoughts on the call to not review the penalty further.
Both Hamilton and Verstappen confirmed in the press conference ahead of this weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix in Budapest that they spoke on the phone since the race, although both have said they won’t change their approaches in further remarks ahead of the last race before the summer break.