Luton Town had a day to forget as the Hatters were demolished 5-0 by Birmingham City at Kenilworth Road.

Marc Roberts put Birmingham in front within the first seven minutes, before a Scott Hogan double put the away side 3-0 up.

Gary Gardner and Chuks Aneke then both scored off the bench in the final six minutes of normal time, adding to a miserable afternoon for Nathan Jones’ side.

Luton had arrived off the back of a positive result in defeating Barnsley at Oakwell, and would come close early on as Matija Sarkic was forced to deal with a free-kick that caused a melee in the Birmingham penalty area.

Birmingham would take the lead when Roberts met Jeremie Bela’s cross, and headed past Simon Sluga.

Luton would have a couple of opportunities to equalise, with Amari’i Bell seeing a long range spilled by Sarkic and Tom Lockyer fire the rebound over.

But Luton would fall 2-0 down just before the half hour. After the home side failed to clear Bela’s initial cross, a ball in by Tahith Chong picked out Hogan, who duly scored.

Jones opted to immediately make a substitution, withdrawing Peter Kioso and switching from a back 3 to a back 4, with the Hatters manager also making a further change at half-time.

Birmingham had come close again in first half stoppage time as Sluga denied Chong before Kristian Pedersen fired wide, but they would score again moments into the second half.

It came from a Luton corner, as Chong laid a fast counter attacking move. The Manchester United loanee was blocked off when in the box but Hogan was onto the loose ball and steered a shot into the goal.

Sub Fred Onyedinma had two efforts to bring Luton back into it, but Birmingham had further chances of their own to score again before eventually grabbing their fourth goal with 84 minutes on the clock.

Gardner had just come on when the Birmingham player curled in a strike from 20 yards.

Just four minutes later, Luton’s miserable afternoon was made worse, as former MK Dons attacker Aneke bundled the ball over the line to grab his first Birmingham goal.

It ended up being a heavy defeat for the side from Bedfordshire, who will seek to bounce back next Saturday as they host a still winless Sheffield United.