Luton Town were beaten 2-1 by Bournemouth as the Hatters were unable to fully comeback from a 2-0 half-time deficit.

The Cherries moved 2-0 up inside the opening half hour through goals by Philip Billing and Dominic Solanke.

The away side would grab a goal back after a combination of Reece Burke and home player Lloyd Kelly forced the ball over the line.

But Luton were unable to make the most of chances to equalise against the Cherries, who moved top of the table and are still unbeaten as a result.

By contrast, Luton now sit 16th in the Championship table after nine matches, with Nathan Jones’ side now without a win in six games.

Luton faced a difficult ask against a side many rank as a promotion candidate. But the away side had a great early opportunity when Elijah Adebayo was found in space in the six yard box by ex-Bournemouth attacker Harry Cornick. However, the former Walsall striker completely missed the target.

Adebayo was nearly in again, after the striker nearly caught out Bournemouth goalkeeper Mark Travers for dallying in his box. But the Bournemouth keeper was fortunate enough to re-capture the ball before Adebayo could capitalise.

Minutes after that, the Hatters fell behind. A slick Bournemouth move involving Solanke and Jefferson Lerma released Ryan Christie, who was able to dink the ball through for Billing to fire a first time strike past Simon Sluga.

Just after the half-hour mark, the home side grabbed a second. From a corner routine, Christie was able to create space down the home side’s left before crossing for Solanke to head home.

Things could’ve been worse for Luton as Sluga slipped while trying to clear but Lerma’s hit went wide.

Luton began the second half brightly, with Travers denying Henri Lansbury’s deflected free-kick before the Bournemouth keeper was called upon again to paw away Adebayo’s angled strike with a Luton player lurking around him.

The bright start to the second half would soon yield a goal back. From Luke Berry’s cross, a strike by Burke struck Kelly and looped in to make it 2-1.

In the final 10 minutes, Luton had two good chances to equalise, but Kal Naismith headed straight at Travers before Adebayo headed wide when inside the box.

But although Luton did impress in the second period against a team highly fancied to earn promotion to the Premier League, they ran out of time to equalise and slumped to defeat.

Luton will seek to grab a first win in September at the final attempt on Wednesday, when they host early high-fliers Coventry City.