MK Dons conceded two late goals as they slumped to a 2-1 defeat against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough.

The Dons had taken the lead after a fine long-range strike by Scott Twine within two minutes of the second half.

Wednesday burned through multiple chances to equalise, but just as time ticked away, they would break through MK Dons’ defences late on.

Substitute Josh Windass was a key presence, with the attacker setting up Lee Gregory’s equaliser before scoring an injury time winner.

Defeat at the end in Sheffield sees the Dons suffer a first League One defeat since losing to Rotherham on October 23rd, and with results elsewhere going against Liam Manning’s side, it means the Dons slip out of the play-offs to 8th in the table.

After the Dons applied some early pressure, the home side began to offer more. Andy Fisher denied a long range strike by Barry Bannan before the away goalkeeper kept out Chey Dunkley from the resulting corner and Theo Corbeanu dragged a hit wide.

The home side would also have the ball in the back of the net, but a foul by Dunkley in the build-up saw the goal disallowed.

MK Dons’ best first half chance was fired wide by Peter Kioso, but after Wednesday failed to make the most of their own chances late in the first half, the Dons got in front shortly after the half-time whistle.

Less than 90 seconds into the second half, Hiram Boateng threaded the ball forward for Twine. In turn, the Dons’ top scorer struck a fine strike from over 20 yards beyond Bailey Peacock-Farrell and in to put the visitors ahead.

Wednesday responded by pressing hard to try and get back on level terms. Corbeanu had two strikes denied by Fisher, before confusion between O’Hora and Fisher allowed Jack Hunt a free shot that hit the post.

The hosts continued to have the majority of chances but struggled to find a break through, with Fisayo Dele-Bashiru firing wide, Windass’ hit deflected wide, Fisher denying Corbeanu again and Gregory failing to connect with Saido Berahino’s cross with the goal in front of him.

But the pressure told with 7 minutes to go. Gregory reached Windass’ corner, and glanced the ball into the back of the net to put the home side on level terms.

As if that wasn’t enough heartache for the Dons, a more punishing end was in store. In the third minute of second half stoppage time, Windass received a cutback in the box before placing it beyond Fisher and home to give Wednesday a win that seems them leapfrog MK Dons in the table.