Luton Town lost 3-1 away at Brentford in a game that saw all goals scored in the second half.

Neal Maupay scored the opening goal within a few moments of the restart, before a deflected Ben Mee goal put the home side further in front.

Substitute Jacob Brown had scored a goal back for the visitors, but Brentford re-established a two goal lead through Shandon Baptiste.

The third goal rubber-stamped success for the home side at the GTech Community Stadium in West London, with Luton condemned to a third away defeat in a row.

Despite losing, Luton remain above the relegation zone, although they are just two points ahead of Everton and Burnley after they won their games ahead of the Hatters’ own difficult-looking back-to-back games against Arsenal and Manchester City.

A tight first half saw very few chances created by either side, with Brentford looking likelier of the two in a quiet opening period to do something.

Bryan Mbuemo would see two shots go off target, before a VAR check against Luton’s Issa Kabore for handball did not result in a Brentford penalty.

While the game was tied at half-time, however, Luton suffered an injury blow when centre-back and captain Tom Lockyer went down injured and stayed on the field for treatment.

Lockyer would be substituted at half-time, in a further blow for a Luton team also missing Alfie Doughty with an injury suffered ahead of the game.

While Luton re-adjusted to their new formation after replacing Lockyer with Brown, it ended up being Brentford who took control when they scored twice in the first 11 minutes of the second half.

The first came Tahith Chong lost possession, with the Luton player’s appeals he was fouled ignored by the referee. Brentford worked the ball out to Yoane Wissa, whose cross found the advancing Mee. His mishit shot ended up bouncing off two adjacent defenders and falling kindly for Maupay to fire past Thomas Kaminski from close range.

Things would then get worse for Rob Edwards’ side when they fell 2-0 down. From a Brentford corner, Mee’s header took a large deflection off Carlton Morris and found the back of the net. The trajectory meant the goal was given to the Brentford player, but either way, it still left Luton with a big task in order to try and again a point.

Luton would get a goal back with less than 15 minutes to go. Brown was able to get to a Ross Barkley pass ahead of Vitaly Janelt, before making space for a low shot that found the bottom corner.

But Luton’s hopes of a comeback lasted five minutes before Brentford scored a third goal. Keane Lewis-Potter’s run into the box lead to penalty box pinball that Luton could never fully clear, and when Lewis-Potter had a shot saved by Kaminski, Baptiste was first to the rebound to score the home side’s third goal.

Chong would have a late goal disallowed for offside but the home side saw the job through, confirming Luton would end the match defeated.