Luton Town suffered a first defeat in four Premier League games as they lost 3-1 at home to bottom side Sheffield United.

The Hatters had entered the game in form after a run of 10 points from their previous six, but couldn’t make it a quick home-and-away double against the Blades as they lost to Chris Wilder’s side.

First half goals from Cameron Archer and James McAtee gave the visitors a two goal advantage at half-time, and although Carlton Morris’ penalty reduced the deficit, Vinicius de Souza grabbed a third goal to confirm an away victory.

The result meant Luton missed out on the chance to extend their advantage on the relegation zone. On a weekend when Nottingham Forest, Everton and Burnley all lost, the Hatters remain in 17th position but are a point clear of Everton ahead of a run that sees Luton play Manchester United, Liverpool and Aston Villa in succession.

Luton had come into the contest after scoring four times in each of their last two matches, and against a Blades team yet to win away from home this season.

But the visitors would have the first shot of note, when inside the opening minute, McAtee hit a curling effort just off target.

Luton responded with some set-pieces but weren’t turning those into chances, and just before the half-hour, Sheffield United passed up a fine chance to take the lead when Archer scuffed a shot wide from a cross.

Moments after that, Archer would score. The former Aston Villa striker evaded a challenge from Gabe Osho before running into the box and placing a low shot in-between Thomas Kaminski and his near post.

Six minutes later, Sheffield United would grab a second. Souza had a header at a corner blocked that the on-pitch officials let go and no Blades players appealed, but a VAR review determined the header was blocked by Reece Burke’s hand, and the decision was made to give penalty for handball. McAtee duly scored from 12 yards to give Sheffield United a 2-0 lead.

A similar incident then reduced the visitor’s advantage moments into the second half. Souza was ruled by VAR to have handled the ball after Elijah Adebayo’s knockdown brushed his arm, and a penalty to Luton was given, which Morris duly scored.

At this point, Luton began to create and attack more, with Anel Ahmedhodzic having to block Burke’s strike before a fine Morris hit from outside the box was tipped wide by away goalkeeper Wes Foderingham.

But instead of being able to strike again, Luton would instead fall behind as with just under 20 minutes to play, Sheffield United went back in front. Ross Barkley lost possession in the visitors’ half, and although Osho initially won the ball back, Luton couldn’t fully clear. Ben Osborn picked up the pieces and teed up Souza, who drilled a firm strike past Kaminski.

Luton had late chances to get another goal, as Adebayo was denied by Foderingham before substitute Tahith Chong saw a shot miss the target, but that was it for Luton who suffered defeat for the first time in 2024.

Next up for Luton is a test against Manchester United, who visit Kenilworth Road next weekend.